Saturday, October 6, 2012

Kea, Greek Island

This stone lion is from 600 BC (that's BEFORE CHRIST)
Kea is part of the Cyclades group of Greek Islands. It is also known by the name Tzia and is one of the closest Islands to Piraeus port in Athens or if you are at the southern tip of mainland Greece in Lavrio you can take a ferry from there.
Kea is a small island but lovely and so very easy to reach that it has become a favorite for weekender Athenians, but during the week and not in August you will find it fairly peaceful.  I would say it is one of my favorite islands but of course this could be due to the good experience I had there.  My travel partner and I went on a very long walk and it was a beautiful scenic walk on a dirt road around the island but when it came time to head back we were a little tired.  After walking for about 1/2 an hour a car approached (very few vehicles had been on the road we were taking) and the female driver stopped and asked if we would like a lift.  We said sure, she was very nice for a Greek person and told us a little history of the island and then she drove us to the other side of the island to see the ruins.  It was a wonderful day in Kea.

2 comments:

  1. what a great story. where are the pics of the ruins on the other side of the island?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so please leave me one.