Monday, December 24, 2012

Fun Fact

I was watching a documentary yesterday and the women said that Pizza originated in Greece! What?  Wow!  I love Pizza, I could eat it 5 nights a week and have leftovers on 2, just kidding,  but it is one of my favorite things to cook and eat.
As an American I always thought that pizza originated in Italy and this is true if your are talking about a tomato based pizza with cheese on top (Italian invention date 1889, fairly recent as far as dates go), I mean Europe didn't even have the tomato until the 1600's.
But if you are talking about the dough baked with toppings on top then that is Greek in origin and from Platos' writings as long ago as 500 BC, dough baked with oil, herbs and cheese on top. Even the name is Greek in origin- Pizza (Italian pronunciation: pittsa) from the Latin verb pìnsere, to press and from the-Greek- pēktos, πηκτός, meaning "solid" or "clotted", (pita).

There you go a little fun fact for you, Merry Christmas.

In case you don't have your own Pizza Dough recipe, here's mine:

3/4 bag of flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. sugar
1 package of yeast
Mix those 4 ingredients then add:
2 cups of milk warmed to (100-110F)

Mix it all together, add flour until not sticky, make it into a round ball, put it into a bowl and cover with a towel and leave it in a warm spot for 2 hours.
Tada great pizza dough, now the hard part what kind of toppings are you going to put on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so please leave me one.